Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Music for the People

Once upon a time I found a collection of G.B. Shaw’s music criticism in a second-hand bookstore. It only cost a dollar, so I bought it. I didn’t know much about Shaw – only that he’d written a play I very much liked (Arms and the Man) and that he had a reputation for a fierce wit. Well-earned. Leafing through the book I found gems such as:

“There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem."

Happy are those composers, performers, musical impressarios and organisers of choral festivals who did not happen to be living and working during his tenure as a music critic, for he was that most dangerous of creatures: an honest man. I took it home to read in more detail. After all, it was only a dollar. And at some point in the following days I found this:

“What we want is not music for the people, but bread for the people, rest for the people, immunity from robbery and scorn for the people, hope for them, enjoyment, equal respect and consideration, life and aspiration, instead of drudgery and despair. When we get that I imagine the people will make tolerable music for themselves, even if all Beethoven’s scores perish in the interim.”
I was training to be a musicologist at the time – in other words preparing for a life focused around ensuring that scores – Beethoven’s and others – don’t perish, literally or figuratively.

I typed out Shaw’s words, printed them off and propped them up on top of my monitor. The rest of that term, I used to glance up at them occasionally, while I wrote about fourteenth-century motets, or – yes— Beethoven’s approach to form. But whether or not I looked at that piece of paper, it looked at me. After that term I don’t remember what happened to it: perhaps it was lost or discarded when I moved. It no longer mattered by then: Shaw’s accusation, his question, was in my head every time I set finger to keyboard or pen to paper.

I fought him. Every day for more than six years, I fought. I accused, I denied, I contradicted, justified and rationalised, weaved, dodged, ducked and dived with the best of them. For though I was an economic emigrant, money was not my only motive. And I had something to lose: I had left a lot of people and all the places I knew, to pursue this particular future.

The opening salvos in that long war of attrition were sadly predictable.

“How dare you, George?” (he just hated being called George, so I called him George on every possible occasion – Georgie Porgie if I were feeling particularly vindictive), I said between clenched teeth, “How. Dare. You. Judge. By what possible right? You –a writer of clever social comedies for the leisured classes – yourself a music critic! You are a complete hypocrite. Shame on you.”

“What we want,” he replied with infuriating calm, “is not music for the people, but bread for the people, rest for the people, immunity from robbery and scorn for the people, hope for them, enjoyment, equal respect and consideration, life and aspiration, instead of drudgery and despair. When we get that I imagine the people will make tolerable music for themselves, even if all Beethoven’s scores perish in the interim.”

But this time, I heard what had been there in those words the first time too. Accusation? Yes. Perhaps. But self-accusation in equal measure. And whereas he was dead, I was still alive.

“But George.” I said after some pause. “This isn’t my fault. Really. It isn’t. I did not invent Empires. I did not make the munitions. I didn’t go soldiering. I did not build the barbed wire borders. The thumb screws, the hoods, the exposed wires, those prison cells with grated drains? – these were not of my construction. The maquiladoras? Not of my manufacture. I have not grabbed land in the Taranaki, or anywhere else for that matter. In the bigger scheme of things I am innocent: there are no flies on me. I am not to blame for sexism, for racism, for xenophobia, for homophobia, for imperialism, for any of that. Why then should I not live my life in peace and quiet, doing something which – after all – does not cause anyone any particular harm? There are many far worse things I could choose to do.

“What we want,” he replied, rootling through my well-stocked fridge, rummaging through my full cupboards and wardrobe, casting a sceptical eye over my over-burdened bookcase and peering out my dorm window out over the peaceful snowbound town, “is not music for the people, but bread for the people, rest for the people, immunity from robbery and scorn for the people, hope for them, enjoyment, equal respect and consideration, life and aspiration, instead of drudgery and despair. When we get that I imagine the people will make tolerable music for themselves, even if all Beethoven’s scores perish in the interim.”

I had little reply. The point was clear enough.

Truth be told, those opening salvos were brief. A week? Two weeks max. And from there, Georgie and I settled down in our respective trenches for a long slow war of attrition. The weapons of choice? Justification. Rationalisation. Prevarication.

“Hey George,” I shouted across No-Man’s Land, “I teach people – students, yeah? That’s useful isn’t it? And music can be political and we need to know how that works don’t we?”

But George was having none of it. He just sat there, hunkered down in his trench, darning his socks, looking smug. “What we want –” he began to call back –

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Shut up already.”

I told George to ‘Shut up’ most days for a good few years, but he just didn’t seem to do so. And in that time I came up with any number of variants on the general theme, but the answer stayed the same.

“Hey Georgie” I yelled much later, thinking that maybe this time I’d discovered a devastating new tactic that would keep him quiet once and for all, “Look at this – I’m doing all this union work. Lots of it – oodles of it. That makes it ok, right? I can keep on with the music thing if I’m doing stuff like this the rest of the time, can’t I?”

He didn’t even bother opening his mouth. He just raised an eyebrow from across No-Man’s-Land and even at that distance I could see he was going to give me one of those Looks.

It was a long slow war: in the end it was a relief to lose.

The more I tried to justify what I was doing, the more my deeds required justification.

The more I tried to give reasons, the more they seemed like rationalisations.

And the thing about both justifications and reasons is that sooner or later, they run out. About six years in, I found myself one day with nothing left. There was nothing more I could say to Shaw's words.

“Yes,” I was finally forced to concede, “That is what we want. And yes, if we have that, people will make tolerable music for themselves, even if . . .”

It was the first moment of peace I’d known for a long time, that moment when I realised I couldn’t be a musicologist after all.

(Though to an external observer it might have seemed that nothing changed, or rather, not immediately. I still finished (most of it was already written by then, after all – and figuring out what one cannot do is not the same as discovering what one can) but what usually serves as one’s introduction to a field became, to all intents and purposes, my farewell.)

It’s not that I sleep better now exactly, but what keeps me sleepless is not that particular angst, not that particular maze of justification. It’s not that I’m out of the woods, either – but it is true the trees do seem sometimes a little less entangling. So there’s something I want to say which is well overdue:

Hey Bernard. Thanks. A thousand thanks. And I’m sorry that I called you names.

4 Comments:

Blogger dove said...

Hi Nanette,

I have been being such a bad correspondent (and not a brilliant blogger either) lately. I'm really sorry -- I've just been a bit flat.

What you heard about jazz (or the blues) being killed by the end of Jim Crow reminds me a bit of something I heard about Russian music after 1989 -- one of my lecturers said essentially, that now, because everything (politically) could be said, nothing would be. He thought that the fact that political expression in Russian music had had to be so coded, so veiled, gave it a kind of power it would not have had otherwise. Or words to that effect.


That distinction 'from/for' is really powerful. And the way you describe it makes me think of the shift between production and consumption (music from being music you make, moving to music for, being music you -- in one way or another -- buy).

On the one hand the time and place Shaw writes from is an era of music from (around where I live now, at around that time, there was the growth of the colliery bands (further east of here) and more locally, mill bands -- I think they would fit more into that 'music from') -- on the other, there was no shortage of 'music for.' And what was one once can become the other, I suspect.

6/30/2006 9:00 pm  
Blogger dove said...

There's so much you’ve said here (and as usual, all of it matters!) -- it's hard to know where to begin.

"What I wonder about tho is, apart from those who shared the circumstances, what did this music call to or signify to the consumers of it, many of whom had never spent a day of want or rejection in their lives? A vicarious exploration of pain? Or just a nice beat? Sort of forbidden fruit?"

All of these I suspect, and to some extent also, perhaps, an attempt to display a particular kind of knowledge or au faitness or ‘look what a discerning consumer I am’ness’ (I'm thinking of your description of people 'going to' the jazz dive or the quaint folk festival and then 'going back home' – which reminds me somehow of a discussion with poco and DTF in the ‘Let’s Talk about Alex’ and ‘Yon bonny road’ posts where DTF described that experience of being invited to social events as a demonstration that ‘Hey look! some of my best friends are ‘x’’ A border might be crossed, but it’s as a tourist (sometimes as a kind of voyeur I think), not an emigrant. But motives are mixed and changeable, at least sometimes. The tourist may become something else. And music is a means of communication – people may sometimes approach it as a consumer and discover they bit off more than they expected, or something different from what they thought, which may also change their motives (and even, perhaps, their options).

(One of the revelations of my childhood was when I finally picked up on what the words to Lola were about, despite having heard the song often before on the radio and liking it. That moment made my world bigger, more confusing and more wonderful all at once, whether I wanted it to or not, and afterwards, I could never hear that song as background music and -- well it's not that the world changed, but what I saw in the world changed after I grasped something of what that song was about. It’s kind of like books in a way, I think: what would be the point in reading if there were no possibility that what one read would change one’s life? )

It’s late here and I fear I'm losing coherency, so I’ll have to try and continue tomorrow.

7/05/2006 1:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ブライダルエステ 銀座
ボーカルスクール
埼玉県 一戸建て
ガーデンファニチャー
昭島市 一戸建て
オーダーカーテン
ローコスト住宅
船橋駅 焼肉
バーチャルオフィス東京
冬期講習
医師 転職
アルギニンサプリメント
賃貸 なんば
経理 人材紹介
お見合いパーティー 大阪
ジャノメ 24時間風呂
待ち時間
idカード 印刷
肺がん
ビジネス英語
外資 英語
沖縄
学生 クレジットカード
ウェディングドレス オーダー
クリニック開業 支援
販促品
加圧トレーニング

11/30/2009 1:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

高田馬場 賃貸
ケータリング サービス
妊娠 初期症状
引き出物
八王子 不動産
リングピロー
高尾 不動産
大学院留学
ゴルフレッスン
マンションリフォーム
トレー
アロエ
ハードコンタクト
センター南 不動産
相続 遺言
中古医療器械
ゴルフ会員権
インプラント 歯科
トランクルーム 埼玉
ウェディング小物
紹介予定派遣
ノーリツ ガス給湯器
イーオン
会社設立 横浜市
結婚式2次会 幹事代行
結婚 悩み
カードで換金
店舗デザイン 関西
カツラ
Tシャツ 通販
秦野 不動産
よもぎ
貸事務所
ハーレー
商標弁理士
バイク便
温泉 旅館
アトピー性皮膚炎

11/30/2009 1:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home